A global community of nature enthusiasts
photographing and learning about wildlife
This was growing in a hay field, but this stuff can and does grow almost anywhere, given enough humidity
Nothing helps like prevention. Know what this looks like and make sure your kids do, too. If you come in contact, wash promptly with COLD water and soap, then DAB dry. Do not rub as this can spread the poisonous oils which will replicate in your skin (a miserable experience). Wash all clothing and other materials that came in contact in HOT water with plenty of soap, including bedding, if infected areas of the skin begin to weep. Toxins from poison ivy can linger for several years before breaking down naturally, including on the thick, hairy, bare vines of older and dead plants that often climb trees. NEVER burn poison ivy, as this releases the toxins into the air where they can be inhaled.