Guardian Nature School Contact Blog Project Noah Facebook Project Noah Twitter

A global citizen science platform
to discover, share and identify wildlife

Join Project Noah!
nature school apple icon

Nature School For Teachers - Fall 2020 Launch! visit nature school

Cycads of Mpanga

Encephalartos whitelockii.

Description:

The Cycad of Mpanga are prehistoric plants that leaved at the time of the Dinosaurs. (several million years back). The plants have a habitat in Mpanga gorge in Kamwenge district western Uganda (the only pace in the word where you can find this specie) and are categorized as some of the most endangered species of the world. However by the time of my visit the government of Uganda has started construction of a dam that was to destroy up to 70% of their habitat.

Habitat:

Mpanga Gorge, Kamwenge District

Species ID Suggestions



Sign in to suggest organism ID

2 Comments

pmagelah
pmagelah 8 years ago

It is very sad that nearly 90% of its habitat was cleared during construction of the power dam in Mpaga Gorge the remaining 10% is under private land and the owners have been burning them to pave way for cultivation. If nothing is done, the natural habitat for this plant will be gone by the end of next year!

craigwilliams
craigwilliams 8 years ago

It is wonderful it is to see these growing wild. I'm saddened and horrified by the news that they will be almost wiped out by the dam's construction. Thanks for sharing this. Do you know if there are any plans to relocate the Encephalartos and any other threatened flora?

Very much looking forward to seeing more spottings from Uganda.

pmagelah
Spotted by
pmagelah

Kyenjojo, Uganda

Spotted on Jan 10, 2009
Submitted on Apr 14, 2011

Related Spottings

Encephalartos Encephalartos Cycad Encephalartos horridus Cycad

Nearby Spottings

Red tailed monkey Butterflies Wild Uganda 2 African Fish Eagle
Noah Guardians
Noah Sponsors