A global community of nature enthusiasts
photographing and learning about wildlife
Native perennial. Grows from 1.5 to 3 ft. tall. Leaves are opposite, serrated, and become smaller the higher they are on the plant. Blooms from late summer into fall.
Grows almost anywhere from forests to meadows.
This plant is poisonous. When people drink milk or eat meat from cows that have eaten Snakeroot, they may become ill with what early settlers called milk fever. If too much meat or milk is consumed, people can die. Horses and other grazing animals can also be poisoned by this plant.